Friday 7 December 2007

Thursday Bit's n Bob's

I don't have a lot to say for myself this week. it's been a bit of a slog getting out the Christmas cards, parcels, letters and what not and there's not been much room for anything else. It's all Christmas at the moment...even though we don't even have our tree up yet (this weekend) It's even got to the knitting...but then Christmas knitting is exciting.

I sit there and knit as usual but I also have the added pleasure of imaging the recipients face when they finally see what I’ve done. Particularly if they know a little about knitting and how long it takes and how much time someone has just dedicated to them. Of course there’s the trepidation that goes with it too…what if they don’t like it or already have one or are secretly and violently allergic to yarn (anything but that!)

I have several projects on the go at the moment and despite there being a distinct lack of time between now and Christmas I am confident I’ll get them done. I have been quite restrained (although some people don’t think so!!) Of my five projects I have one and a half done and two of the remaining should be easy and relatively quick. Ok the other 1 & ½ are not so easy, have the potential for disaster and will probably make my life a living hell for the rest of the month but I still think I can do it!!
It would be good if I could knit on the train as I travel to work and back but there's just not enough elbow room. That would solve both the time issues with the knitting and the lesser problem of what to read next!!

I have just finished reading Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden and I’m so excited that he has started another series. His last set were about Julius Caesar and a great read that kept me turning the pages faster and faster to get to the end.
Wolf of the Plains is about Genghis Khan and the first book of the series (the second book is released in January) is equally as well written and fascinating to read. I’m only disappointed that I’ve caught up to him and now have to wait until the books are released one by one rather than buying them all and reading them all at once in a great big orgy of story telling!!

It’s rare I find a book that I really like at the moment. With a couple of hours a day on the train I find I grab anything that looks remotely interesting in the library rather than searching for something I would be truly interested in. Mostly this is because after more than a year of this commuting I’ve read just about everything in the library that I would be interested in.
However this is a good way to find new authors…I wouldn’t have picked up Iggulden’s books otherwise!

So what’s everyone else reading at the moment? Any suggestions of good books for me to read?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Try Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. m.