Tuesday 20 November 2007

Hibernation

I am not a person who does nothing.

There are many people out there (and I doff my hat to them) who have no problems at all doing nothing. They will sit around all day without even giving it a second thought and achieve little but relaxation. See…I can’t even think of people doing nothing without hoping that they get something out of it. They might not be relaxed at all!

I should state that by nothing I mean nothing productive. I don’t mean simply sitting in a chair staring at the wall…although that is both doing nothing…and doing something…since you are actually sitting and staring…...oh dear!

In any case I am incapable. I spend my weekends in a hive of activity…I usually write a list so long that even superman would struggle to complete it. My week nights are carefully allocated time slots filled with dedication and determination. I will do everything, I will do it perfectly and I won’t waste any time about it!!!
I can’t help it. It’s the way I am. Some might say it’s unhealthy but I say no more so that other quirks people have like eating Vegemite and cheese together………

I have for some time now been working on ways to lessen the stress caused by not getting entire lists completed. Training myself to write smaller lists and to simply transfer the “un-ticked” items to a new list rather than throwing a tantrum. It seems to be working too. With smaller lists I accomplish a greater percentage of the items and therefore feel better about myself and life in general. It must be having a knock on effect as well because Sunday…

for the first time ever…………

I did nothing.

Now I’m going to qualify that because although it felt like nothing to me (ie I accomplished nothing) to others it may look like I actually did a fair bit. So to clear things up...

Sunday I sat on the couch, watched Sherlock Holmes for the entire afternoon and knitted a beanie!

What makes me feel like I did nothing is all the things I didn’t do. I didn’t cook, I didn’t do the washing, I didn’t study, I didn’t take any photos, I didn’t go through any paperwork, I didn’t check my email, I didn’t go down to the pub as planned, I didn’t move from the couch except to get snacks etc.
In my defence it was blowing a gale and snowing…or hailing or sleeting or everything and there was really nothing on this earth that would have moved me from my comfy warm spot on the couch!!

Of course now I have to get everything done tonight!!!

No comments: