Thursday 1 November 2007

Creamy Chicken, Celery & Leek Soup

Proof that you should always listen to what it is that you feel you want to eat. This was the best soup I’ve done in ages and I think that was mostly because I’d made myself wait for so long before making it. I should have done it last week and disregarded the opinion of others. After all…when I feel sick or in need of comfort I don’t think Chicken and pasta broth….I think creamy, warm, smooth chickeny goodness.

And that’s what this soup is folks. It’s a winter soup, a comfort soup, a soup for the soul. Make it and make it now!!

Creamy Chicken, Celery & Leek Soup

1lt Chicken stock
1 bay leaf
200gm Chicken breast (I used 2 medium sized ones…came to a bit more than 300 and was fine)
4 tbsp plain flour
2 tsp Butter
1 small onion finely chopped
3 large leeks (green included) thinly chopped
2 stalks of celery, peeled & sliced
2 tbsp double cream (I didn’t put this in and don’t think you need it at all)
Fresh grated nutmeg
Salt & pepper

Heat the stock until steaming and then add in the bay leaf and chicken breasts.
Simmer for about 20 mins until the chicken is cooked.
Remove chicken from stock and set aside & dice when cooled. Throw away bay leaf.
Place the flour in a bowl and slowly whisk in the stock to form a smooth liquid. Use about ½ the stock.
Sauté half the celery, all the leeks and onion in a pan with the butter.
Pour in the flour liquid and bring to the boil stirring constantly.
Add in the rest of the stock and simmer for 20mins until the veg are cooked.
Whiz the soup.
Stir in the nutmeg and cream (if your using it), ½ the celery and the diced chicken.
Simmer until the celery is cooked and season to taste.

I have a photo but it didn't turn out that well. There's a real trick to taking photos of food and making them look appetizing.....I haven't mastered it yet apparently so no photo this week!!

No comments: