Tuesday 5 June 2007

Whoosh goes the weekend!

Good lord the days are flying by! I meant to post on Friday but never actually got online and the same thing happened with the weekend. And let’s not mention that suddenly it’s June and yesterday it was February!!

The weekend was a good one….finally. The weather was lovely…sun and blue sky. Much like you’d expect for this time of year instead of the miserable grey, wet and windy conditions we’ve had of late.
This meant that we could get out in the garden and finally put out some of those plants we’ve been hardening off. I’ve been a bit too busy for the garden this year…and it shows a little with weeds everywhere and a lot of slug damage (I normally go slug hunting with a vengeance) however it felt really good to get out there and get digging. So nice to do something completely different to work and computers!
SO, planted out the tomatoes (roma), cucumbers and beetroot. Potted up some basil and sowed some more lettuce n herbs. Even put some spinach in.
Had to pull up some more onions tho. Four of them are ok for using but the rest are riddled with the same pests as last year. Long, yellow/brown flat centipede type things. Don’t know what they are but they area eating my onions and garlic. Little blighters!
Strawberries are covered in ….well…berries but so far are all green.
Looks like we won’t get any rhubarb off the rhubarb plant again this year, despite it being a two year old crown. It’s growing much better now it’s out of the pot but the stems are tiny thin things and I don’t want to stunt it by picking it now. Will give it another year and see how it goes.

Also this weekend we moved the birdfeeder so that we could see the birds feeding when we were sitting down on the bench. Such a small thing but makes a big difference as before the birds were hidden behind the tree. I love watching the tiny little things. We get mostly sparrows, blue and great tits and robins. They have little fear of us now and flit back and forth consuming seed at an alarming rate considering their size.

Knitting wise I thought it was time I posted a photo of my current project. It’s a Sidar pattern and I’ve tried to find a link but it seems I have the only copy in existence as it doesn’t seem to be on their site. So here is a picture I found somewhere of the pattern book. (ooo my first pic post!)
I tried to take some pictures last night but the colour was so washed out I decided to try again tonight in daylight. It’s a lovely shade of green with faint flecks of yellow and deeper green and it deserves a nice picky.
I finished the back last Friday night and was rather happy with myself. A few bits that could be better but nothing I can’t live with and I can’t face ripping it back. Does that make me less of a knitter? Well it is only my second major project….I don’t know any better!!
At the moment I’m persevering with the front. There’s shaping involved and so I guess one of the lessons for this project is how to increase and decrease neatly. I think I’ll probably have to start again but I’ll keep going for a bit more in the interests of practising.

No comments: