Friday 29 February 2008

Off to see the wizard!

When we first came over here to England it was because we needed to shake things up. We needed a change, to break out of our routines and explore new possibilities. It really wasn’t about the travel and the opportunity to see other countries….although that’s been great. It was a lot about family and getting to know people I’d only ever heard about. It was about really getting out on my own and seeing what I could do. It was about expanding my horizons and finally coming in contact with a country that had been calling me all my life.

Since we’ve been here most folks we talk too from back in Oz have a strange idealized view of our life. Like we’ve been on one big six year holiday, travelling to every country in Europe and generally flitting about the world. The reality has been much harder. Although we’ve traveled a fair bit we’ve seen relatively few countries and I’ve spent more time commuting to work than I have wandering the world. Picking up our lives and moving to a different country was far more difficult than I could ever have envisioned and it took us years to feel settled and comfortable again. I think I can now say that the grass is not greener on the other side…..just different.

Despite the difficulties coming over here continues to be one of the best things I’ve ever done. I’ve made some friends that I love and will keep for the rest of my life. I’ve seen different countries and environments and stood in front of iconic buildings and works of art that most folks only see in books and movies. I’ve broadened my horizons, matured and grown, worked out a lot of what is really important to me, taken a gazillion photos, worked with some amazing people, gained loads of experience, grown to love a new country and way of life and seen the inside of more pubs than I care to mention!!!

I do love England. While I’m always proud to be Australian this country has so much to offer as well. A huge and interesting history, first row seat on the world stage, proximity to just about everywhere, a huge mix of cultures, beautiful and varied scenery, great pubs and some hilarious accents!! In particular I’ve come to love Brighton. It’s a ‘Me’ sized town with everything a girl could want. It’s London without the hassle. With the sea on one side, the countryside on the other and a vibrant city life in the middle. We love it.

And I think that is a problem now because where do we call home? Is home only a place where you hang your hat? Is it friends and family or is it a connection with a house, a town or an environment? The one thing I know is that the answer to that question cannot be found here. We know how we feel about England but after so long away how do we feel about Australia? Do we still call it home? We need answers.

That’s why in May we’ll be moving back to OZ.

3 comments:

robynrainer said...

well well well. Looking forward to seeing kattie and mattie back here at some stage. House is a bit different and the kids are multiplying, but the beer is still cold and now Molly's is gone, but I'm sure we can find a guinness somewhere. Gotta say its weird though because we were talking about you earlier in the week and Molly and Sarah didnt know who you were.

Gina E. said...

You're coming back to Oz? I am shocked! Well, surprised, anyway. I got the impression from Mum that you would stay on there indefinitely. You can always go back I suppose. Hey, I'm not pushing!! Look forward to catching up with you at Mum's for dinner, right?

MrsG said...

Hmmm sad about Molly's but we knew it was gone. I'm sure we'll find somewhere else tho.
Will be great to catch up with everyone and see whats new.
As for definitely or indefinitely....well I think we'll just see how it goes!