Monday 7 July 2008

Normal is as normal does

Despite good intentions life has once again got away from me and it's been weeks since the last post. Life is however, slowly returning to normal for us...or the Australian version of normal at least and so hopefully I will get more time now to post of our adventures.

We've been back in the country for five weeks now and those five weeks have been a whirlwind of faces and places, most of which are familiar to us but one or two new ones as well. We've managed to find ourselves a car and both of us have started work again which makes for a big chunk of normality and routine. Normally I'd say that routine can be a bad thing but in this instance it really is nice to know what the days hold, where I need to be and when I'll be
getting paid for it!! Even so we're still living in at mums (Thanks mum!!) and I doubt we'll
really feel settled or truly at home until the end of August when (fingers crossed) we get back into our house.

It's strange how quickly you adapt to massive changes in your life. How you can be completely uprooted from all that you know and love and still you go about each day as if it were normal.

However we are finding that this time is much harder to adjust to. When we left for the UK we were younger and in need of an adventure. I'm not saying it wasn't hard.....just that we wanted the change and so I guess it was more exciting than difficult. This time we are older (and wiser) and less willing to uproot our lives. We're in a different place now and not eager for the disruption. Plus we have benefit of hindsight. Knowing how hard it was and how long it took us to really feel at home in the UK warns us that this move won't be easy.

With the physical move mostly over now and the things that are considered requirements for everyday life (job, car, medicare etc) taken care off I'm constantly lulled in to a false sense of normality....that I'm home and that everything is as it was. Only to be kicked in the stomach wit h reality whenever I think about home or hear from friends overseas. Each time it hits me that I'm not where I subconsciously thought I was I realize that this move, this grieving for what was, is going to take a long while to process and I really wonder if it will stick or if we'll end up going through the whole thing again!!

No comments: