Wednesday 11 July 2007

Flip Side

So the other day I was feeling rather weird-ed out with the whole finishing work thing. And this week has been full of the weird feelings so it wasn’t without reason that I came up with the “10 things I won’t miss about work” list. However it didn’t cheer me up like I thought it would and instead left me feeling a tad angry…as all those annoying things do.
Over the course of the day the angry feelings subsided and the melancholy feelings resurfaced causing me to think about those things that I would miss.

There’s a lot to be said for working in such a magnificent city. I know it’s just work and a city is just a city and I don’t pretend that it’s not got it’s down side. But despite all that, underneath the day to day stuff is a feeling that you are somewhere special, somewhere where anything can happen and probably already has.

Ok, ok that’s not to say I couldn’t find the same atmosphere anywhere else but you have to admit that places like London have certain magic to them that other places don’t.
I’m hoping I haven’t wasted the opportunity. I’m hoping that I took advantage of it and revelled in the experience. I think I did some of that. I think also I wasted many moments being caught up in the every day work life as I would if I lived somewhere else. With any luck the next place I work will be twice as exciting!

10 THINGS I WILL MISS ABOUT WORK

10. The trains. I know…it’s a love to hate them type of thing but they are clean (mostly) and run on time (mostly) and its kinda fun…in a weird and Kathie like way!

9. The walk to the station. Some mornings it was a struggle but mostly I liked starting my day with a walk. It made me feel active and fit...even when I know I'm not!

8. Buying a packet of chips (crisps) off the guy in the store down the road from the station for .1p cheaper than at the station!! Hehehe it’s the little things that are the most satisfying.

7. Being part of the gang on the train in the mornings. We might not know each others names but we’re united by a common sleepyness and resent new comers and loud talkative people!! (it is 6.30am after all)

6. The coffee machine. Oh I know it’s bad and (I was well and truly off the stuff before I started here) next week I shall have some withdrawal fun but until then I shall continue to make my way to the kitchen to press a different button each time. Espresso, cappuccino, choco creme, black/white with milk/sugar, tea..........Come on folks…they have Hot Chocolate on tap!!!!!!!

5. Borough Market! Two words, one great big lovely market full of yummy stuff!

4. Um hello…the pay packet!!!

3. Seeing that lovely old lady the Tower Bridge every day. Really going to miss this.

2. Being employed. Call me old fashioned but work gives me a sense of purpose and a feeling of worth. I’m not defined by my work but rather supported by it. It stretches my brain and makes me be grown up sometimes. Plus I enjoy it…mostly.

And the thing I'll miss the most???

1. Two hours a day. What would you do with two hours a day? I read loads, studied, planned travels, examined recipes, thought about knitting, wrote lists, watched people, listened to music (both mine and other peoples) and slept among other things. It was great…and I don't know what I'll do now that I wont have that ‘spare’ time anymore.

No comments: