Monday 20 August 2007

My Freakishly Short Arms...

The weekend passed in a streaky blur that included more house guests (reservations only please) cooking, no study at all, some desperate tidying of the garden, 5 mins of sitting quietly and resting, 2 bottles of wine, food shopping, underwear shopping (too much information?), more cooking, a smidge of cleaning, 1 hour of TV and several hours of frantically staring at my computer wondering where to start with all the photos. Oh yeah and a whole whack of time ripping back ¾ of the arms of me knitting.

Thursday night saw a sombre conference with my knitting mentor where we stared, poked, prodded, measured and shook our heads over the arms in the vague hope they would somehow shrink to fit. It was not to be and sadly I accepted that there was no other way but to rip and rip big. I needed to take out 80 or so rows in order to get back to where I could safely take out the 16 rows to alter the length. This I did and with some sacrifice of sleep I managed to get well on the way to getting one of the arms finished…again!

It was quite an effort and towards the end I was quite pleased with myself BUT I was also a little confused.

What I was knitting didn’t seem to gel with what the pattern was telling me. The number 50 kept popping in to my line of sight…which was strange as I’m sure it never did before. So I re read the pattern another 100 times to be sure and yup….I was clearly knitting many more rows than the pattern suggested.
I had to be since it was saying that 50 rows was what I needed to knit and I was only half way to finishing my decreasing. It was as if the pattern had completely changed.

I have now re read the pattern about a million times more and I’m positive that I’ve done something very stupid and no amount of staring intensely at the pattern has morphed it back to what I could have sworn I was reading/knitting.

As best I understand (and I doubt my every word at this point) it seems that instead of decreasing every alternate row I was decreasing every 6th thus adding on some 20-30 extra rows to the arm.
While I was marvelling at my stupidity it dawned on me that this is why the arms were so long and not that my arms are so freakishly short!! Thank heaven for small mercies!!!

It also dawned on me that I’d need to rip back one arm again. *Sob*

As it was by this time, 9.30pm Sunday evening I carefully rolled up the wool, folded up the arms and set the knitting aside before going in search of something to drink!

No comments: