Saturday 12 May 2007

Can I graduate now?

I’ve done it! I did it, I’m done.
I’ve finally finished my first ever piece of knitting that required ‘making up’. YAY ME!
The months of toil and ripping, the struggling to learn new techniques and coming to terms with unfamiliar language. It’s all paid off and I’ve even woven the ends in and sewn it up!
I was particularly proud when I did the sleeves myself without crying or asking for help from my knitting mentor. But it was when I realised that I was going to run out of wool a little too soon and I didn’t panic that I knew I was had graduated to the ranks of true knitters!
Instead I calmly made the second sleeve as long as possible, (thankfully I have short arms!) undid the casting off on the first sleeve and ripped it back to match….which then gave me enough wool to sew the darn thing up!!

Because I bought the thing as a learning exercise rather than with a view to wearing it, it came as no surprise to me that I didn’t like it and won’t wear it. The wool is lovely, the colour…well I’m a little sick of it but its nice too, the style is modern but it’s just not me. Not sure what I’ll do with it now. I don’t fancy undoing the whole thing with the over enthusiastic weaving in that I do. (can we say overkill?) I suppose it will sit in my wardrobe for a few years while I decide.

No comments: